Midday Hunger is the Worst
Being at work without snacks is tragic. I repeat, TRAGIC! When I go to work without my backpack full of healthy snacks, I become susceptible to buying crap just out of hunger pains which then lead to guilt pains and typically stomach pains from the crap that I decided to eat when my hunger blinded me. As you can see, this becomes a very harsh and painful cycle, so I avoid it at all costs. Furthermore, I try to spend NO money while at work and it is uncommon if I eat out for lunch. Therefore, I’m big on bringing leftovers from the night before as a main meal for lunch, but I ALWAYS have extra snacks to get me through the morning and afternoon. I take my grocery shopping pretty serious and make sure that I buy food and snacks for the house AND office. My favorite places to shop are Trader Joe’s, Whole Food’s, and Safeway & Walmart (lots of healthy vegan finds here surprisingly)! Trader Joe’s is my favorite because they are VERY affordable and offer unique and healthy options.
Snacks so you won’t be Sad
People often ask me what I eat during the day, I’ve compiled a list of my top 20 fav snacks to take to work. I store most of the non-perishable items in my desk and bring foods that need to be refrigerated on a daily basis. Since people steal in my office ( little assholes) I recommend investing in an insulated lunch bag if you don’t trust your office fridge. You can mix and match a lot of these items so get creative and have fun on your next shopping trip!
The Good Stuff
- Roasted Plantain Chips (Trader Joe’s) 6-ounce bag for only $1.69!
- Bamba Peanut Snacks (Trader Joe’s) a 3.5-ounce bag is only 99 cents & you can enjoy 40 pieces in a single serving! BOOM! ( think peanut butter fluffy cheetos- except not a cheeto! )
- Oatmeal Packets- I always keep a few in my desk. (Throw in some of your favorite fruit!)
- Fruit, veggies, or salad!
- Pomegranate seeds
- Nuts/trail mix
- Earth Balance Vegan Cheddar Cheese Squares ( Whole Foods)
- Falafel Wrap ( Trader Joe’s)
- Lentil Wrap with Tahini sauce ( Trader Joe’s)
- English muffins ( whatever is your favorite ) use #15 for these!
- Avocado (I usually bring just a half, but you could bring a whole and leave ½ for the next day!) Combine with #14!
- Peanut Butter or Almond Butter ( carrots, celery, or even a spoon full!)
- Harvest Snap pea crisps
- Dark Chocolate Nutty Bits (Trader Joe’s)
- Hummus & Chips (jicama, carrots & bell peppers are other dipping options)
- Soup! Keep a can of soup/chili in your desk for an emergency hungry moment
- Cheese and Crackers (Daiya Jalapeno Havarti cheese is my top fav)
- Bonus: Any Flavor of Boom Chicka Pop! ( Walmart, Safeway, Whole Foods)
Prepare, Save Money and Snack Happily
Bringing your own food to work helps you make healthy eating decisions while saving money. I know some days you will forget your food ( GASP!) or just want to eat out with coworkers, and that’s totally fine! But, trust me. You will thank yourself one day if you keep some options readily available in your side drawer. Don’t ever be that person that is so hungry that you contemplate eating those old mustard packets laying around in your drawer! LOL! That would be fucking gross, and yes, I would judge you if I saw you doing this.
What are your favorite snacks? Please share