Traveling together is one of our favorite ways to spend quality time with each other. For the past 15 years, Jess and I have been meeting each other in many different destinations. We have our rendezvous down to a tee and want to share our travel tips so you can be the best travel buddy too!
Traveling Then vs Now
So when we were just barely legal, traveling was different. We had to make sure we printed out Mapquest directions, called the hotel in advance to book our reservation, and find out by word of mouth what events were going on. Our travel interests were much different then they are today. We were all about bar hopping, dancing at the hottest clubs and wearing outfits we wouldn’t dare throw in our suticase now. These days, we like to restaurant hop, find a good brunch with the best bloody mary deals, go to concerts, do yoga, go on hikes and find some unbeatable deals at the local Farmers Market.
How to Prepare for a Buddy Trip
There are a few things you can do ahead so that you have the best trip possible.
- Book a room with double beds. Having too much room is always better than not enough room. Plus, this gives both of you your own space to treat however you want.
- When picking a place to stay, look at the surrounding area and think about what you want to do on this trip. If it’s for some relaxation, maybe you want to be outside the city away from the hustle and bustle. If you don’t plan on renting a car, maybe find a hotel or AirBnb that is around lots of walkable attractions. Talk about your intention for the trip and go from there.
- Start bookmarking places on Yelp. This way you have hella options that you were already into. When you get to your hotel or place where you’re staying, look to see how far those places are to you. You will no doubt find more places near your location once you reach your destination.
- Plan to use Lyft or Uber. These rideshare apps allow you to split the fare which makes it really easy. And you only need to know the name or address of your destination instead of looking up directions.
- However, if renting a car is more practical for your trip, do that! Hawaii is a perfect example of where you would want to rent a car. Having a car gives you the freedom to go and do anything you want whenever.
- If you are traveling with other couples or in a group, make sure everyone is included in a group text so you all stay up to date on your travel plans. Make sure everyone is on the same page about where you want to stay and the things you want to do. Traveling with others can be difficult so make sure you pick travel buddies wisely!
- We LOVE discussing our outfits before a trip. Going to the beach? Staying at a place with a pool? Make sure you both got your swimsuits! If you plan on eating a fancy restaurant one night make sure you tell each other so you both have clothing to match any event that you plan on getting into!
- Be upfront about costs and a budget you are on. Trips can still happen and be amazing even on a budget! We always split costs if we are staying together and always make sure what we are paying for is within the other persons budget. Being thoughtful about each other’s expenses is crucial as a travel buddy!
- We have stayed in lots of Airbnb’s on certain destination trips so we can be together instead of in seperate hotel rooms. This is a great option for certain destinations. Staying in an Airbnb allows you to go grocery shopping and cook together as well. This also saves a shit-ton of money!
- Discuss flights with your travel buddy! Coordinate your arrival and departure times which will make meeting up and departing together easier for both of you!
- Pinterest is also a great tool to use for places you are visiting! Especially if you are visiting abroad or a place you have never been to before! Look up tips or top favorite things to do so you will have ideas of fun things to do before you even get there!
- Utilize Groupon to mazimize your money and fun!! There are always great deals on local events in every city!
Now go and Plan Your Next Trip!
We hope you find at least one of these tips helpful! Do you have a favorite travel buddy?! Do you have any tips of your own? Please share with us !