Jess and I are both believers in simplicity in products that we use or put into our bodies. Over the years we have found simple ingredients that we have around the house that also works wonders as products for our bodies. For our first topic on this, we are going to focus on the ways we use tea tree oil and coconut oil.
Tea Tree Oil
We use this wonderful all natural oil for so much in our homes. Here are some of the ways we like to use it.
- Dandruff Eliminator – Tea tree oil is a natural alternative for hair care. Not only does it help eliminate dandruff, it gives your hair this great smell. Tea tree oil fights off the fungus that causes dandruff. After taking my hair out of a weave or braids, my scalp is so dry and can have clusters of dandruff. I like to do a deep scalp massage with tea tree oil. The oil gives your scalp this tingling refreshing feeling without any harsh chemicals.
- Hair Growth – This oil helps unclog pores and feeds the root which promotes hair growth. You can simply add the tea tree oil to your shampoo or for a more intense repair, you can add the tea tree oil to one of your favorite oils, massage it into the scalp and hair, let sit for 15mins, then wash.
- Hot Oil Treatment – I grew up getting hot oil treatments from my mom. A hot oil treatment is a deep conditioning with warmed oil that you massage all over your scalp and throughout your hair. Tea Tree oil should not be the base oil but an addition. I like to use 3 to 5 tablespoons of Argon oil and add 5 to 7 drops of tea tree oil to the Argon oil. Once the hair is coated, wrap the hair in a towel or put on a shower cap and let it penetrate the hair for 30-45 mins. Rinse your hair and blow dry as usual. You’ll feel an instant difference.
- Bath – Tea tree oil can be used for a soothing bath. Whether you have itchy skin or just want to relax, adding a few drops of tea tree oil along with a couple of tablespoons of Olive, Jojoba, or Coconut oil will help soothe you.
- Bug Bites – Tea Tree oil helps relieve itching, pain, swelling, and inflammation caused by those pesky bug bites. Once again, mix a few drops of tea tree oil with a couple of tablespoons of natural oil and rub onto your bug bite for instant relief.
This is probably our favorite oil! It is so versatile and used for EVERYTHING!!!! Coconut oil is a natural healthy fat and considered a superfood. Basically anytime you need some type of oil for ANYTHING, use coconut oil. We can’t wait to tell you all the ways we love using this magic oil!
- Cooking – Coconut oil is great to use for cooking because you can saute and fry food at a high temperature and it is very healthy for you. Not only can you use it on your pans, you can also use it any time a recipe calls for a type of cooking oil.
- Moisturizer – This is my favorite thing to lather myself in after a shower. Coconut oil naturally nourishes your body while preventing wrinkles and gives you a glow that is undeniable. It is my secret facial moisturizer (ssshhhh) and actually absorbs quick and doesn’t leave me feeling too oily.
- Popping Popcorn – We both love making fresh popcorn and making it with coconut oil makes it healthier. You can also drizzle it on top before adding your salt. So tasty!
- Makeup Remover – This is the most gentle and effective makeup remover I have ever used! Gently rub it on in a circular motion and wipe off with a warm towel.
- Soothing Oil – This is the perfect oil to use after shaving or a wax. It soothes your skin and doesn’t burn at all. Your cuticles love it too.
We would love for you to share the ways you use tea tree oil or coconut oil. Have you found anyways these have changed your life? How about any fails? Either way, we want to hear from you!