Creating a Peaceful Environment
Creating a peaceful environment is something that we wholeheartedly believe in. If your environment is calming then it has the ability to make you and the people around you calm. After a long day, there is nothing better than coming home to your sanctuary. Ambiance, smells, colors, and lighting all have an impact on you even if you don’t realize it.
Everyone’s idea of zen can be different but one thing it must be is peaceful.
- Smell- Candles, incense, oil diffusers, and room sprays all set an instant tone. Breathing in certain scents can have an effect on how you may feel.
- Sound- Light music, scenery sounds of the ocean or birds, or complete silence may put you in a zone where you can concentrate on that exact moment.
- Lighting- Dim or soft lighting, candlelit room, salt lamp glow, twinkle lights, natural light, or complete darkness can all work for a Zen environment. Whatever lighting gives you in the calmest energy.
- Cleanliness- A clean and well-kept area helps balance the energy in the room while keeping it positive. Using sage to smudge and cleanse the air is a good practice.
- Appearance- Everyone’s ideal look of Zen can vary. Some might like the simplistic and minimalist look while others like bright colors and Buddhas everywhere. Whatever appearance appeals to you is fine, just remember that it needs to be something that is simple and doesn’t stimulate your mind and body too much.
- Furniture- Furniture should be simple and natural. The fabric should be soft and bring a sense of comfort and relaxation.
- Plants- Bring nature into your space. Plants improve the oxygen around you. Look for indoor plants that appeal to you and your space.
- Meditation– Practice calm breathing. Use meditation beads if that suits you. Sitting in silence and finding peace can be hard but learning to focus on your breath and relaxing is the most important part of meditation. If sitting in silence is too hard on certain days then actively mediate by stretching and focused breathing. The beautiful thing about meditation is that you can do it anywhere!
- Get Creative- Get creative with how you decorate your Zen environment. Line your fireplace with candles. Place candles and incense trays in specific areas. Hang a tapestry. Buy a floor pillow for seated mediation. Purchase calm and smoothing oils and lotions. Invest in knick-knacks and little statues that appeal to you. Frogs, elephants, lotus flowers and Buddha’s are some of our favorites!
Find Your Inner Peace
Creating a Zen environment is an on-going process. As you evolve so will your space. Every day is different which means some days you might need more candles and relaxing music and other days you might need more darkness and silence. There is no blueprint on how to create a Zen environment. All you need is some inspiration and to listen to what you need and your environment will become your own personal sanctuary. We outlined some of the basics and also included links so you can explore some of the Zen essentials we mentioned. Remember, it does not need to cost a lot of money to create a peaceful environment. You will be surprised how many items are out there at discount stores, thrift shops and even garage sales. The more you look the more you will find! Some of our favorite finds are the unexpected ones!
Your Zen journey is just that.. YOURS! Listen to your mind, heart and body and see what it is that YOU need. We wish you nothing but positivity as you explore and create your Zen environment! Namaste!