We all go through moments of feeling down. Sometimes it can be hard to shake the funk but having some good tips and resources can help make shaking it easier. We are here to share some of our favorite ways to feel instantly happy! Try them out whenever you need them.
- Smile – Smiling can instantly boost your mood when you’re feeling down and blue. Smiling can be used as a stress and pain reliever lowers your blood pressure and can improve relationships. Smiling can be contagious, so don’t be afraid to smile at someone because they may need it just as much as you.
- Laugh – Laughing decreases your stress hormones and triggers a release of endorphins (we LOVE endorphins!). Whatever gets you laughing (comedies, jokes, watching funny YouTube videos), DO IT! You’ll instantly be forced to smile and start to feel better. Laughing produces endorphins which give you a natural high.
- Workout – Working out is another endorphin releaser. It can be something as simple as going for a run, walk, jump roping, yoga or stretching. Working out increases your energy levels and is an instant mood booster (along with so many other benefits) plus, you never regret it once you’re done.
- Compliment Someone– Usually, when you compliment someone, they thank you and smile back. This leaves you with that good warm feeling inside. There are both mental and emotional health benefits from giving compliments or showing kindness, such as; decreased stress, pain, insomnia, and affects the immune system and production of serotonin.
- Call a Loved One – Call someone who is a positive and happy person. Your bestie, significant other, sibling, family member, or an old friend who you have been meaning to catch up with. Whoever you decide to call just make sure it is someone who is typically a positive and happy person who has a good conversation. Whatever you do, DON’T call someone who likes to complain or always has issues. These types of people will not help you. Whoever makes you smile by thinking of them is the person to call!
- Clean – Cleaning up around the house can really clear your mind and make you happier. When you clean you are less likely to think about whatever it is that has you upset. Cleaning keeps you busy and gets your body moving which distracts you from being stuck in your head. Plus, a clean home is a wonderful way to promote happiness.
- Soak in the Tub – Take a nice long soothing bath or shower! Light some candles or incense, use a bath bomb or a few drops of lavender essential oil. Set the mood and just relax! Put away your phone and grab a book or a magazine or just listen to some music and let your mind wander. You could even throw on a comedy on Netflix while chillin’ in the bath.
- Food – Food is something that has a way to make almost anyone smile. Cooking a new or favorite recipe is a great way to get yourself out of a bad mood. If you don’t have the patience for cooking that day then go pick up your favorite meal or dessert. Treat yourself and I bet you will smile!
- Meditate – Light some candles and just meditate. If you are not at home you can easily meditate on the go as well. Having a rough day at work? Go out to your car and just sit and relax for a few minutes or go for a walk and find a quiet area to just sit in silence. There are plenty of guided meditations online if you wanted to go a different route. Time alone for just 10 minutes can help bring you back to happiness and help you find balance.
- Animals and Kids – Animals and kids have a way of making you smile without even trying. Go visit your nieces/nephews if you don’t have children of your own. Speaking from experience, a Facetime with my nieces makes me laugh constantly. Kids are hilarious and have a way of making you forget all the grown-up shit you are worrying about. Animals have the same impact. Play with your cat or take your dog to the park. Don’t have any animals? YouTube has animal videos galore! Also, certain cities have cat cafes where you can go and play with a dozen cats for $20! Maybe even go adopt a new cat or dog and have daily happiness for the next 10+ years 🙂
- Music – Certain music can put you in a positive happy mood. This type of music may be different for everyone. Again, music is known to lower stress levels, enhances your mood, reduces depression, relaxes your body, and increases verbal intelligence. Find music that makes you happy or takes you to your happy place. Plus, dancing is a great way to promote happiness! Next time you’re feeling down just get up, blast some music and dance like nobody is watching!!
Do What Makes You Happy
We understand that every day is not going to be the greatest day of your life and that’s ok! Just believe in finding the best in every day regardless of the unpleasant circumstances we might find ourselves in. BestieTalks hope these tips will help you find your smile when you’re feeling down and out. Please share with us your favorite things to do to turn your mood and day around! We love learning new tips!